The OALJ Law Library has separate libraries for several of the larger "traditional case areas, such as whistleblower, immigration-related labor issues, JTPA, and OFCCP. The library you are in now covers the wide variety of the remaining traditional case areas.
Employment and Training Administration
The Employment and Training Administration administers various federal government job training and worker dislocation programs, federal grants to states for public employment service programs, and unemployment insurance benefits programs. Some of these programs can involve disputes that result in a hearing before a DOL ALJ. ETA-related immigration and WIA cases are set out in separate collections. Because Job Service Complaint System disputes are usually (but not always) immigration-related, they are found in the Immigration collection. OALJ and ARB materials relating to other ETA-programs are found in this collection.
- Apprenticeship and Training: Equal Employment Opportunity
- Compensation Conformity Proceeding (and other decertification proceedings) (CCP)
- Older American Amendments of 1975 to the Older American Community Service Employment Act (OAA)
- Trade Act (TRA)
- "Unemployment Insurance" - Federal State Extended Unemployment Tax Act of 1970, 26 USC § 3304 et seq. (UIA)
- Welfare-to-Work audits and investigations (WTW)
Wage and Hour Division
The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) is responsible for administering and enforcing a wide variety of labor laws.
- Child labor (Fair Labor Standards Act)
- Collective Bargaining Variance
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act, generally
- Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Workers Protection Act
- Nondisplacement of Qualified Workers
Judges' Benchbook: Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) including child labor provisions (CLA) (Revised May 2, 2011) -- HTM Version
Judges' Benchbook: Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) including child labor provisions (CLA) (Revised May 2, 2011) -- PDF Version
The Office of Labor-Management Standards
The Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS) administers certain "Standards of Conduct" cases relating to federal unions.
Other DOL Programs
This collection includes case types that are not agency specific or cases types about which only a small number of hearings are typically conducted. These include:
- The Debt Collection Act (DCA). These cases can arise from any agency within DOL.
- Program Fraud Civil Remedies Act (CRA)
- Petitions for modifications of mine safety standards (MSA). These cases arise out of the Mine Safety and Health Administration.
- Miscellaneous case types (MIS) (e.g., attorney admission and discipline; orders disposing of matters because DOL does not have jurisdiction over the filing, etc.)